Jurgen Leitner is a recurring character in The Magnus Archives. He has been described as a portly man, with blond hair that was beginning to grey (MAG 35). He is best known for his library of occult books, all of which are identifiable via the interior bookplate that reads "From The Library of Jurgen Leitner".
| ATTENTION! SPOILERS AHEAD!! CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
This article contains information from later episodes of The Magnus Archives, and may contain major spoilers for the setting and plot.
Jurgen Leitner was a Norweigan-born recluse, well-known in literary, and specifically rare book collecting, circles in the 1990s. Upon discovering the existence of the supernatural, he set about collecting books in an attempt to protect the world from their effects. It was rumored that he would custom bind known books, or pay authors to write for him.
He is best known for his library, and disappeared after its destruction in 1994, going into hiding and eventually coming to reside in the Millbank Prison tunnels.
The Library of Jurgen Leitner
The library was destroyed in 1994 (MAG 4). It's design was drawn from the writings and architecture of Robert Smirke, with sections uniquely designed to hold their "prisoners". Leitner later described all "defences" as pointing inward, making breaking in almost trivial (MAG 80)
It was known for having books on demonology or the arcane. At it's height, the library contained 978 books (MAG 80).
For the full list of books mentioned in the series, see List of books.
- Ex Altiora (MAG 4, MAG 46)
- The Boneturner's Tale (MAG 17)
- The Key of Solomon, owned by Macgregor Mathers and Jurgen Leitner - a book on demonology found on eBay (MAG 4). The buyer, grbookworm1818, is later revealed to be Gertrude Robinson. It was destroyed by Robinson and Leitner in the tunnels beneath the Institute. It is notable as being one of the few books "marked by several powers" (MAG 80).
- A Disappearance (MAG 80)
- A Guest For Mr. Spider (MAG 81)
- A Journal Of The Plague Year (MAG 80)
- The Stalwart Hunter's Almanac (MAG 80)
- An Introduction to Higher Anatomy (MAG 92)
- The Seven Lamps of Architecture (MAG 80)
- Sanskrit poetry book about dead animals (MAG 4)
- The Tale of a Field Hospital - though it once possessed a library sticker, it was mostly torn off (MAG 68).
- Dig - there was a label at the front, but the book had been wet and the ink on it had run (MAG 88).
- クモが食べている (kumo ga tabete iru) - the statement-giver who finds the book makes a threatening reference to the previous owner of the book, whom Martin assumes to be Leitner (MAG 110).
1987 - Jurgen Leitner asks for Harold Silvana and Rachel Turley to dig a hole beneath 100 Pall Mall. When asked to confirm that he has the owner of the building's permission, Leitner becomes aggressive, and they do not do the job (MAG 35).
1993 - Jurgen Leitner visits Pinhole Books (MAG 62).
1994 - Library of Jurgen Leitner destroyed, Jurgen Leitner drops from public view (MAG 4).
At some point after disappearance - Jurgen Leitner begins living in the system of tunnels that used to be Millbank Prison, which are designed by Robert Smirke and part of which are underneath The Magnus Institute.
2010/11 - Jurgen Leitner meets Gertrude Robinson and they begin working together in secret,
2014 - Jurgen Leitner gets beaten up by Gerard Keay.
February 2017 - Jurgen Leitner saves Jonathan Sims from the Not-Them, and gives a statement. He is beaten to death by Elias Bouchard (MAG 80). He is then buried in a plot paid for by the Magnus Institute under the pseudonym "George Icarus".