The Hunt is one of the oldest of the fourteen main Entities. It is a manifestation of the animalistic and instinctual fear of being hunted/chased, of becoming prey. It is less able to affect humans, due to our self-removal from the food chain.
Avatars of the Hunt, often refered to simply as Hunters, have an affinity for hunting down and killing monsters and Avatars. When deep enough in their transformation, Hunters enjoy enhanced health (such as remission from cancer) and can seem somewhat predatory and feral. Avatars of The Hunt often view it as an addiction and are ambivalent about its control over them.  The Hunt is also sometimes described in terms of the Hunter's "blood" telling them whom to hunt and how to hurt them and so on.
Per Adelard Dekker, Hunters seems to be one of the few beings capable of killing a fully-realized Avatar of a different Entity.  Under extreme pressure, Hunters can go berserk and tear other avatars apart with their bare hands. As a result, Hunters are often hired or coerced into serving other Entities. Even when Hunters are unwillingly serving another Entity, however, they still thrive on taking down monsters.
Police officers seem especially prone to becoming Hunt avatars, notably Daisy Tonner, Robert Montauk, and other Section 31 officers. According to Elias Bouchard, Hunters have no qualms about killing other avatars of The Hunt when necessary—even when their fellow Hunter is also a fellow police officer.
Episodes Focused on The Hunt Edit
- MAG 9: A Fathers Love
- MAG 10: Vampire Killer
- MAG 31: First Hunt
- MAG 43: Section 31
- MAG 52: Exceptional Risk
- MAG 56: Children of the Night
- MAG 61: Hard Shoulder
- MAG 82: The Eyewitnesses
- MAG 91: The Coming Storm
- MAG 92: Nothing Beside Remains
- MAG 107: Third Degree
- MAG 109: Nightfall
- MAG 112: Thrill of the Chase
- MAG 119: Stranger and Stranger
- MAG 133: Dead Horse
Other Appearances Edit
| ATTENTION! SPOILERS AHEAD!! CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
This article contains information from later episodes of The Magnus Archives, and may contain major spoilers for the setting and plot.
Ritual Information Edit
Little is currently known about its ritual; Gertrude Robinson was considering the US as a potential location for it, though "not completely sold", and thought it would likely take place sometime after that of The Buried.
Recurring Characters and Concepts Edit
- Alice "Daisy" Tonner
- Trevor Herbert
- Julia Montauk
- Robert Montauk
- Vampires (they are strongly associated with Hunters, but may or may not be avatars of The Hunt themselves)
Connections to Other Entities Edit
- Robert Montauk hunts in service of The Dark to protect Julia, although he later turns on them and kills a member of The People's Church of the Divine Host.
- Adelard Dekker mentions that if the avatar of The End becomes strong enough, only a Hunter could defeat it (and he finds them too unpredictable to make that his first choice).
- Daisy Tonner spends a significant amount of time killing mannequins belonging to The Stranger while she is forced to work for The Eye via Elias.
- When necessary, an avatar of The Slaughter can defend a place or group of people from other Entities. However, while Hunters thrive on the role, avatars of The Slaughter seem to devolve into constant rage and unhappiness (at least in the case of Melanie King).