| ATTENTION! SPOILERS AHEAD!!|
This article contains information from later episodes of The Magnus Archives, and may contain major spoilers for the setting and plot. Continue at your own risk.
The Magnus Institute is an academic institution dedicated to researching the esoteric and paranormal. They are not - and they would like to make this clear - paranormal investigators; they are researchers dedicated to revealing knowledge of the unknown. Nevertheless, there are many mysteries about the Institute itself. It was established by Jonah Magnus in 1818, and is currently missing it's Head. The Institute is associated with the Entity known as The Eye. It is also patronized by other groups such as the Lukas Family.
Before 1841, the Institute was located in Edinburgh.
At some point after 1841, Jonah Magnus moved the Institute to it's current location in Chelsea, London, near the Thames Embankment. It is a small building, old, and pillared, with at least three floors and the archives in the basement. It has a café or canteen. The Institute is connected to the tunnels that were formerly below Millbank Prison.
The Institute possesses a well organised library of books on the supernatural.
The Institute also possesses a department called Artefact Storage, which houses the various strange and dangerous items collected from statement givers and other circumstances. Sasha originally worked in Artefact Storage, but she found the work unpleasant and terrifying and transferred after only three months.
The Archives is a collection of statements on the supernatural taken (and researched when possible) at the Institute. It is, at present, horrendously disorganised due to the (in)action of Gertrude Robinson, the previous Head Archivist. At present, Jonathan Sims is the Head Archivist of the Magnus Institute.
“Audio. Vigilo. Opperior." is the motto on the crest of the Magnus Institute, which roughly translates to "I listen. I watch. I wait."
Like many other academic organizations, the Institute has several departments. The Institute has a staff of approximately 80-100 people. Current and former employees of the Magnus Institute are listed below by department, and further categorized by employment status when needed:
- Jonah Magnus - Founder of the Institute
- James Wright - Former Head of Institute (from 1973 – 1996)
- Elias Bouchard - Former Head of the Institute (from 1996-2017)
- Peter Lukas - Former Head of the Institute (from 2017-2018)
- Martin Blackwood - Assistant to Head of Institute
- Daisy Tonner - Former Institute and Archive Security (reported to Elias)
Current Archive Employees
- Jonathan Sims - Head Archivist
- Basira Hussain - Archival Assistant
- Daisy Tonner - Archival Assistant
Former Archive Employees
- Gertrude Robinson - Former Head Archivist
- Michael Shelley - Former Archival Assistant to Gertrude Robinson
- Eric Delano - Former Archival Assistant to Gertrude Robinson
- Emma - former Archival Assistant to Gertrude Robinson
- Timothy Stoker - Former Archival Assistant to Jonathan Sims
- Sasha James - Former Archival Assistant to Jonathan Sims
- Martin Blackwood - Former Archival Assistant to Jonathan Sims
- Melanie King - Former Archival Assistant to Jonathan Sims
- Rosie - Administrator
- Sonja - Artefact Storage
- Diana - Library, "runs the place"
- Hannah - Library
- Tom - Library
- Sarah Carpenter - Former Researcher
- Fiona Law - Former Research Assistant
- Mary Keay's mother - Former employee, unknown department
- ↑ MAG 17: The Boneturner's Tale
- ↑ MAG 33: Boatswain's Call
- ↑ MAG 50: Foundations
- ↑ MAG 26: A Distortion
- ↑ MAG 11: Dreamer
- ↑ MAG 123: Web Development
- ↑ MAG 106: A Matter Of Perspective
- ↑ MAG 53: Crusader
- ↑ MAG 39: Infestation
- ↑ Season 1 Q&A
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 MAG 49: The Butchers Window
- ↑ MAG 120: Eye Contact
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 MAG 92: Nothing Beside Remains
- ↑ MAG 136: The Puppeteer
- ↑ MAG 85: Upon the Stair
- ↑ MAG 154: Bloody Mary
- ↑ MAG 80: The Librarian
- ↑ MAG 84: Possessive
- ↑ MAG 157: Rotten Core
- ↑ MAG 88: Dig
- ↑ MAG 63: The End of the Tunnel
- ↑ MAG 102: Nesting Instinct
- ↑ MAG 104: Sneak Preview
- ↑ MAG 27: A Sturdy Lock
- ↑ MAG 29: Cheating Death
- ↑ MAG 62: First Edition